I rarely get angry but sometimes, just sometimes, I can’t help it

Monday Moaning logoToday is my birthday and I feel bad about moaning on my birthday so I will keep this brief.

On Tuesday in the TELive chatroom I did something I very rarely do. I had a bit of a rant.

A member of the community told how he was planning to launch a traffic exchange and was looking for people with ‘big lists’ to help him promote it.

This approach annoyed a lot of people in that room because the message which is repeated time and again in that chatroom is that small, targeted lists of interested individuals can be far more effective than larger untargeted lists. (A message with which I fully agree.)

Then the person was talking about getting his traffic exchange in pre-launch for a number of weeks to build up membership.

Why not just launch the thing and have done with it?

Open the doors and let people in.

But he saved the best until last.

Given that he has allegedly been planning the launch of this online venture for a year or so, he dropped this bombshell:

“I haven’t actually bought the script yet.”

That was the point when I finally lost patience.

And, I suspect, I was not alone.

Has anything made you angry recently?

If so then please feel free to share.

36 Responses to I rarely get angry but sometimes, just sometimes, I can’t help it

1. Justin Ledvina
    March 5, 2012 at 8:05 am #

Happy birthday Mr. Griffin.

As for captain big JV launch I wrote him off long ago as a time waster.

2. Phil Bennett AUSTRALIA March 5, 2012 at 10:09 am #

Happy Birthday Patrick, I hope you enjoy your day.

I did receive something similar to this the other day. A new traffic exchange being launched and backed by the ‘bigger’ names in the industry. I signed up because I trust those people, however, I was disappointed with the new site and that rubs off on those that recommended it.

I realise it was just to get a lot of sign-ups in a short time and I bet they get a lot of cancelled accounts too.

Part of the system isn’t working properly for me so I queried this with them. Their suggestion, change to Chrome! What a cop out!

Have a nice Birthday.
    Phil Bennett thinks you may like this post too..Free eBook – Effortless Web Cash FormulaMy Profile

March 5, 2012 at 2:58 pm #

Hi Phil,
      You make a valid point for any affiliate marketer here actually.
      People will be judged on both what they do and with the programs they associate themselves with.
      Patrick Griffin thinks you may like this post too..Words Wednesday: Extinct Words (III)My Profile

3. Robert Maturo UNITED STATES March 5, 2012 at 11:45 am #

Is this guy kidding? Haha! His TE is not even a reality yet and he’s really going about it the wrong way. This is not how you network. Period!! He should do it the good ole fashion way. Traffic exchanges, Safelists, Viral List builders and solo ads. He’d have greater success in the long run, because it’s a group of people that he got on his own. It’s called elbow grease and hard work. I personally wouldn’t help anyone pushy like that. What B&*?s!!
    Excuse my french.
    Robert Maturo thinks you may like this post too..ALL CLEAR: FeedMedic Alert for RobertMaturosRealTesecretsMy Profile

March 5, 2012 at 3:09 pm #

Hi Robert,
      It was kind of all wrong and I agree with you that there is a lot to be said for old fashioned hard work and elbow grease.

4. Steve Ayling UNITED KINGDOM March 5, 2012 at 1:07 pm #

Happy Birthday Sir :)

I think it was fully justified to get angry there :) Glad I wasnt there hehe

5. Janet Legere CANADA March 5, 2012 at 1:13 pm #

Happy Birthday Patrick,

Great rant! Some people get off wasting other people’s time … they are everywhere and I’m not sure what drives them but like you, they drive me nuts :-)

6. Dave UNITED STATES March 5, 2012 at 1:28 pm #

Happy Birthday Patrick=Enjoy YOUR Day

I know what you mean and you are right to get angry. There are so Many TEs out there that do the same thing. I used to surf 20-30 sites a day but got tired of most of them as all they wanted was upgrades and for me to take there offers.with little or no gain for me. I am going to start again with just a few. Startxchange-EasyHits4U-CTP-ThumbVue for a start.Keep up these great Newsletters Dave

7. Rosyel Sawali (raincrystal)
    PHILIPPINES
    March 5, 2012 at 1:31 pm #

Happy, happy birthday Patrick! Many happy returns of the day! ^_^ You’re an awesome chap so keep it cool! :D
    Rosyel Sawali (raincrystal) thinks you may like this post too..Actively Listening to your ChildMy Profile

8. Linda Mayer UNITED STATES March 5, 2012 at 1:51 pm #

Happy Birthday, Patrick, and many, many more!

Sounds like your rant was well deserved. I wish I had been there. Fortunately, most of the marketers I have met through CTP are not time wasters and for that I am grateful. This guy must have been a piece of work!

March 5, 2012 at 3:22 pm #

Hi Linda,
      You are quite right there are a lot of great people at CTP but as Janet observed earlier the time-wasters to tend to get everywhere.

9. Monika Tuttle UNITED STATES March 5, 2012 at 2:04 pm #

Hi Patrick.

Happy Birthday to you :) I hope you have a wonderful day.

OH I was sooooo glad that you came on TE Live on Tuesday, and finally let loose. I felt the same way and was tempted to do the same, but refrained from
    it, since I had written him off a long time ago, for just blowing hot air.
    But sadly wasting Jon’s and everyone’s time and precious space in the chat.

I also don’t understand why people do that, but they sure annoy me.
    My feeling is this as well: If you are going to do something, then JUST DO IT!

Have an awesome Birthday :)

March 5, 2012 at 3:27 pm #

Hi Monika,
      You are quite right because I did get the impression, from the comments in the chat, that there were other people a little bemused as well as me.

It is one of the great things about TELive though…you never really quite know what is going to crop up next.

And thanks for the birthday wishes.

Patrick Griffin thinks you may like this post too..Friday Newsletter: March 2, 2012.My Profile

10. Brenda Broyles
    March 5, 2012 at 3:08 pm #

Happy Birthday Dear Patrick…… You know I love u to death and this rant was very well deserved that day and no one could have said it better than you. You are always so good with “words” spoken and written. Like Monika said I think your spoke for a lot of us in the room that day.

How can u work on a launch or prelaunch or whatever if you do not even have the script to work with. You can only plan and think so much before u take the step to buy the script. I mean come on get real and TAKE ACTION!!!!!

Relax and have a GREAT Birthday….. Brenda
    Brenda Broyles thinks you may like this post too..I Love My JobMy Profile

March 5, 2012 at 3:39 pm #

Hi Brenda,

Thanks for your kind words and for that totally awesome tweet you just sent out for my birthday.

It is funny but I was just going to ignore everything that had been said by that person right up until the point until he mentioned that he had not even bought the script.

That was the point that I knew I just had to say something.

You are totally right about taking action. It would be infinitely better
      to have launched something, got absolutely everything wrong it was possible to get wrong and then used that powerful learning experience to launch something well.

Nobody will get upset when someone takes action and makes a mistake – far from it – the more you do the more others are willing to help.

I hope today’s TELive will be a little calmer.

11. Rob P. Cruisin
    AUSTRALIA
    March 5, 2012 at 2:20 pm #

G’day Patrick,

Many Happy Returns Bloke.

Damn once again I missed all the fun.

All been well I will get home this week and will be able to stick my head in at TE live more once again.

This Wally you speak about deserved anything you gave him. Wish I knew who it was so I can make sure I avoid anything to do with them.

LMAO no script yet and planning to launch for over a year, yes pigs fly and there is pie in the sky and you too can make a million with a dollar.

Reality I flush my toilet and that is where this person should go with the crap that I send when I flush.

Now did I tell you about the TE I am going to release and yes it has been in the making for nearly two years and I do own the script.

More about that later I had better go check the one I already have.

Have A Really Good One :)

Regards

Rob P.

12. Kent Faver
    March 5, 2012 at 2:58 pm #

Happy birthday Patrick! The good ol’ “I want to count my money before I do any work” syndrome – seems rampant in all segments of the IM niche.
    Kent Faver thinks you may like this post too..Is Ethical Marketing Dead?My Profile

13. William a. Miller II UNITED STATES March 5, 2012 at 4:15 pm #

First, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

I know that a good rant feels so good every once in a while, but let this be one of those things where God gives you to the wisdom to know that you can’t change it, and so just let it go without giving it another thought.

Your wisdom and leadership are better applied to the truly constructive measures that you have so successfully written about in the past.

March 5, 2012 at 7:17 pm #

Hi William,
      You are quite right.
      Those things you cannot change are best ignored except for those occasions when one is in need of a blog post.

I do actually get a lot more pleasure about highlighting constructive matters but I also believe there is a benefit to be gained from highlighting the not so constructive matters too.

Thanks for a thought-provoking comment and also your birthday wishes.

14. Walter Mulder NETHERLANDS March 5, 2012 at 5:22 pm #

Happy Birthday Patrick!

I see this more and more…
    This weekend I was in a TE chat and someone was complaining that traffic exchanges are a waste of time and he was never going to surf much or join many TE’s.
    Then he continued asking “what is a good and cheap traffic exchange script so I can start my own TE and get the money”
    I was crying from laughing, someone who thinks surfing is a waste of time starting his own exchange.

To people thinking of launching their own TE I can only say: don’t start it as a money making opportunity. Also no big JV’s needed. Start with networking and build your own traffic exchange (or maybe even better first your own list and business) step by step. There is nothing as deadly for a TE being pushed by big names and then after the launch is over no-one surfing your TE

March 5, 2012 at 7:24 pm #

Hi Walter,

The sad thing is that I have absolutely no problem believing that the story you told happened exactly as you have told it.

There is almost an illness amongst a certain section of the community that they feel that they absolutely have to open up their own traffic exchange and that by doing so they will get the instant riches they so desire.

Even worse there are people who open up multiple traffic exchanges before they have even begun to get the first one right and then they wonder why they all soon fail.

Anyone who is considering opening their own TE should read your cautionary words above.

Nice one.

March 5, 2012 at 5:45 pm #

.::HAPPY BIRTHDAY::. to you good sir!!

I don’t think you had a rant at all at this conference call as I was there and I agree with you.

I was paying attention until I realized the main script wasn’t even bought yet… On a very serious note, I thought it was a joke…

But it wasn’t and that’s when I got confused.

That’s like saying I’m selling lemonade and not having lemons or lemon squeezers, it just doesn’t makes any sense to me (IF you’re an honest marketer)

There are many things (strategies, techniques, way of thinking, etc) I hate about marketing gurus and this is one of them.

You create an offer for a product that hasn’t been created yet to see if it is profitable enough depending on the response you get and then you take an action upon it.

As an Internet Marketer, there shouldn’t be anything wrong about this approach but there’s a very thin line between being a great marketer and having no remorse from shady actions.

Not too long ago I was on this webinar from a top earner and they were discussing exactly this approach, someone in the audience asked what to do if the ‘experiment’ resulted bad, what to do with the people who already signed in?

His response was: ‘make up something and turn things around.’

Say… ‘Hey guys, it’s been a wild response but since then, I have been getting a lot more questions about X and Y and so I decided to change my mind about this and now I’ll focus on what you guys have been asking me through e-mails’.

(Something like that)

It sounds kind of okay but seriously, it’s pure guru sh*t.

I have been a VICTIM of this stupid “tactic” myself and it is something I would NEVER, EVER (under any circumstances) do myself because my integrity is way bigger than my need for money.
    —-

Well that was my rant and apart from that, I hope you’re having a great day Patrick!

Take a rest from your marketing efforts and enjoy your day man, you really deserve it and I have no doubt that you’ll be doing big things on this year.

All the best!

Sergio Felix thinks you may like this post too..How To Choose Your Best WordPress ThemeMy Profile

March 5, 2012 at 7:36 pm #

Hey Sergio,
      I am not surprised you got confused that day and your lemonade analogy is very apt.
      In this case it looks like the planning has been nothing more than to think about lemons every now and again for a period of many months.

On to your main example then from a purely logical internet marketing perspective I can see the attraction of the scenario where you create an offer for a product that has not yet been created and then create the final product based on the feedback received.

However, like you, that is not something I would feel at all comfortable doing.

I think the bottom line is that we all most follow the path that is right for us as individuals.

Finally thanks for your birthday wishes and I look forward to talking to you soon.

March 5, 2012 at 10:27 pm #

Hi Patrick,

Just been out for a birthday meal at Pizza Express, but it was for my step daughter, and if I’d read this before going I would have raised a glass to wish you good health as well.

I was also in the room, and you just did what everyone was thinking. If this guy had actually listened to anything in the room rather than pitching his ideas he should know that starting a good TE will cost ~ $5000 minimum plus running costs and that if it’s broken even in the first year and the average member login is over 100 then you’ve done brilliantly.

Sadly too many people think they can spend $100 on a script, create a special OTO and rely on daft newbies to join and give away money. Yes, you could make $1000 in the first week, but will you have a business in 3 months time? When you can’t deliver the traffic you promised and people are demanding refunds will you look stupid?

I think you should make a login lesson about the perils of TE ownership and how promoting a launch that you know is unsustainable can damage your standing as an affiliate marketer.

Andrew Stark thinks you may like this post too..List Building For Bloggers – Part 1 “Copy The Best”My Profile

March 6, 2012 at 3:08 am #

Hi Andrew,
      That is so true.
      Yes I am sure it is relatively easy to make the thousand bucks or so in week one.
      But like you said the planning is how to keep the money coming in three months down the line, then six and then after a year.

P.S. Talking about CTP login lessons…good stuff from you there this week. Everyone in CTP should check it out.
      Patrick Griffin thinks you may like this post too..I rarely get angry but sometimes, just sometimes, I can’t help it My Profile

17. John P
    March 6, 2012 at 12:11 am #

Hello Patrick,
    I must say I missed TELive that day,but I can agree that was not the correct approach when trying to “start” a business. However if that person would have been more “personal” and asked *hey I was thinking of doing this what do you all think- do you have any idea’s) I am almost sure they would have been given a different response.
    Happy birthday……….

John P

18. Karen Kuty
    March 6, 2012 at 6:13 am #

Hi Patrick–

Happy Birthday (although it’s probably the day after where you are now)!

I’m sorry that I missed your rant–I think it was probably well said and much kinder than loser-boy deserved (Oops! Did I say that out loud?).

My first thought was WTF(what the ?), but then I just started to laugh out loud. I just cannot take someone so tremendously clueless seriously.

I know that Wednesday is usually the day for this, but there is a word that describes what you encountered–chutzpah!

Best Regards and Hopes for a Fantastic Next Year!

Karen Kuty (klkuty)

March 6, 2012 at 7:30 am #

Hi Karen,
      Thanks for your birthday wishes and for adding to the discussion.
      I think it is important for people to know that if they want others to take them seriously then they need to start behaving seriously themselves.