So a complete stranger wants to give me $5,000-a-month

Monday Moaning logoIt is not every day a complete stranger offers to change my life for the better.

But some guy called Joseph has offered to do just that.

“Congratulations today is YOUR lucky day,” said the excitable marketer to me in a short email.

Then he offered me money…a lot of money:

“You’re about to change YOUR current lifestylr for the better with a $5,000
PAY RAISE.”

Brilliant. I have always wanted a better lifestylr. In fact I think I want a better lifestylr more than I even want a better lifestyle.

But what do I need to do to get my five grand?

Joseph had the answer right at hand:

“If YOU are serious and motivated about earning more money like I am, this is your Once in a lifetime Opportunity!

“WE will help YOU earn a $5,000 comm/issio/n chec/k every single month and our Au/toma/ted Mov/ie Sys/tem will show YOU step by step GUARANTEED.”

Yes Joseph I am serious and motivated. Now can I have my $5,000 please? Especially as it is guaranteed. But what is a ‘comm/issio/n chec/k’ and an ‘au/toma/ted mov/ie sys/tem’? Well I guess I don’t really care as long as you send me the money every month.

And what do I have to do to earn this money?

Joseph has the answer:

“All YOU have to do is signup 2 people…..so what are YOU waiting for click my website link ABOVE , watch our amazing video that show YOU step by step how too earn $5,000
and get started today!!!”

So it seems that I only have so signup two people to get all this money.

Sorry Joseph but I simply don’t believe you.

So I checked out your link and looked at the earnings disclaimer.

And I found this:

“This website contains statements made by Independent Business Owners to describe the rewards of marketing the represented products and services…

“They achieved these income levels through the expenditure of considerable management time, money and effort and by consistently marketing the represented products and services. There can be no assurance that the prior success of these people can be used as an indication of your future success…”

So much for the guaranteed $5,000 a month for making two referrals then.

How is that marketers are allowed to make these ridiculous claims in their emails?

It is beyond me.

8 Responses to So a complete stranger wants to give me $5,000-a-month

1. Sott Rohn UNITED STATES April 23, 2012 at 1:17 pm #

Man when I read your email about this post. I had to check it out. All I could think was ok whats the catch I know there was no way he was going to just hand you $5,000 that would be stupid on his part. It would be great for you lol. So then I thought he must be trying to get you to buy some software that with a couple clicks would make you $5,000 and more. Then I read your post, and after chuckling a little bit ( I thought I was a bad speller) you confirmed what I was thinking. Now this guy may not have been selling get rich quick software, but he was diffently promising you. No guaranteeing you that you would make $5,000. and thats BS ( excuse my french) So Patrick did you get your $5,000 yet lol

Have a great day
    Scott Rohn
    Sott Rohn thinks you may like this post too..3 Easy Steps For Quick Credit RepairMy Profile

April 23, 2012 at 3:25 pm #

Hi Scott,

No I didn’t get my $5,000. I mean the guy has my email address so why doesn’t he just send me the money already?

Seriously though I would not even consider signing up for such a program.

My view is that with work comes rewards. Rewards don’t come out of the blue in a random email from a stranger.

Patrick Griffin thinks you may like this post too..So a complete stranger wants to give me $5,000-a-monthMy Profile

2. Mark Hodgetts AUSTRALIA April 23, 2012 at 1:31 pm #

Sigh……
    Firstly let me congratulate you on your blog Patrick. I find it to be the most entertaining blog in the niche by far.

How do marketers get away with theses claims?
    The truth is they don’t.

They spend their time, money and considerable effort making the claims that they are told to make by the product owners. I don’t care how many product disclaimers are on a site – its the product owners who are ultimately responsible for the behavior of their affiliates.

I’ll bet pounds to peanuts that the email you received was copied and pasted directly from the product’s affiliate marketing page. (Complete with intended spam filter misspellings).

Once upon a time I used to devote considerable time and energy to trying to expose these programs for what they were.

I therefore appreciate your dissection of some of these emails perhaps a little more than most.

Keep up the good work – you make me smile every time I read one of these posts

April 23, 2012 at 3:43 pm #

Hi Mark,

I was tempted to sign up to the program so I could check out the affiliate page but I had already come to the same conclusion as you had…this is almost certainly a “copy and paste” email right from the affiliate toolbox section of the program.

The product owners certainly must take a lot of the blame here as you say – after all they are the ones who make these outrageous claims as part of their affiliate marketing package.

But nobody forces an affiliate to promote anything. I doubt that the affiliates in question are making the sort of money from the program that they are saying others are making.

If this is so then they must know the claims they are making are outrageous.

If they are making that sort of money then they don’t need to use the promo tools. They could just write an email saying something like:
      “Copy me and make $5,000 each and every month – look how I am doing it.”

You also raise another great point which always sets off alarm bells for me. If a marketer has to resort to deliberate misspellings to get around the spam filter then this is a message I have no interest in reading…unless I am looking for material for this blog.

Great comment Mark. Thanks for sharing.

Patrick Griffin thinks you may like this post too..Friday Newsletter: April 20, 2012My Profile

April 23, 2012 at 7:23 pm #

I love the sarcasm that you put into this posts, I mean the guy might as well be selling “magic beans” and the copywriting is dreadful.

I’m surprised your email client actually allowed it to arrive in your inbox.

The sad thing is that “Joseph” will never learn how to use the internet to create true wealth using the internet to build up a fan base and sell information products properly.

Andrew Stark thinks you may like this post too..The TimTech School Of MarketingMy Profile

April 23, 2012 at 10:36 pm #

Good point Andrew. How did that one get into my inbox?

Maybe I should not have checked the box which said “Send to spam folder unless the sender is offering $5,000 or more per month.”

Next time I think I will raise the limit to $7,500 – that should cut things down a bit.

P ;)

April 24, 2012 at 12:07 am #

So I’m guessing you didn’t get the 5K right? LOL

I am reaaaaaaally wondering who sends you all these spammy e-mails? haha looks like it’s the same marketer man or maybe you signed to a lot of shiny stuff lately. :P

Sergio Felix thinks you may like this post too..Ways To Make Money With WordPress Consulting $1500 USD Income Proof InsideMy Profile

April 24, 2012 at 12:41 am #

Hi Sergio,

No I didn’t get the 5K (or is this 50 hundred in American speak? ;) ) but if I did then I would certainly have done a video blog post counting out the cash.

I think the emails generally come from a couple of different safelists I signed up to last year.