Introducing Some Changes Around Here

All changeFrom this week I have decided to make a couple of changes to this blog and I thought now would be a good time to tell you about them.

As this blog develops it seems to take on at least a little bit of structure here and there.

If I had something of a rant to get off my chest it tended to be on Tuesdays (I have no idea why I picked Tuesday for this) but I have decided to move this to Monday for no other reason that I can call this feature “Monday Moaning” – yes I do like my rather¬† lame puns I am afraid.

One thing I like about the idea of “Monday Moaning” is that if I can get the negative stuff out of the way at the start of the week then I can concentrate on more positive, productive things for the rest of the week.

Actually for me I tend to think of Sunday as the start of my working week as it allows me to tie up some loose ends from the previous week and make some useful preparations for the rest of the week ahead. For example if I have forgotten to reply to someone’s blog comment during the week then Sundays are when I tend to catch up on this task.

However I don’t tend to blog on Sundays because I feel that there must be at least one day in the week when you can be sure you will not be subjected to my inane ramblings.

Wednesdays are ‘Words Wednesdays” where I like to introduce new and unusual words into the mix and now on Fridays I want to introduce a newsletter feature which will be more of a series of thoughts rather than one single blog post.

The imaginatively titled “Friday Newsletter” will be the name of this new feature.

The reason for the newsletter approach is that over the past few months I found myself with something to say, but having already written a blog post that day, no way of saying it.

Often it is more of a “by the way this has happened” or a “have you heard about this” item rather than something deserving of a whole blog post on its own.

So I thought I would wrap these up in a Friday Newsletter and see how it goes.

Please let me know what you think of the changes and if you have any other suggestions for me then I would also love to hear from you.

12 Responses to Introducing Some Changes Around Here

1. Catherine White
    November 1, 2011 at 7:20 pm #

Getting organized are you? I like it.
    I always enjoy your posts now I will know what type of post to expect on what day.
    The inner ramblings of Patrick Griffin – keep up the good work!
    Catherine White thinks you may like this post too..Take Time For Family and FriendsMy Profile

2. Justin Ledvina
    November 1, 2011 at 8:21 pm #

Unrelated to this post needed to tell you I love that your blog is easy to read on my iPhone. I seem to do all my reading on my phone now and the fact you make it easy is one of the reason I can read it regularly.

GERMANY
      November 1, 2011 at 10:20 pm #

Hi Justin,
      Your comment is indeed well timed.
      I am away from home tonight and don’t have access to the Internet so using my iPhone is the only way I can access my blog.
      thankfully I can also use my phone to reply to comments.

3. Sam Burgess
    November 2, 2011 at 4:22 pm #

Thanks Patrick, we continue to learn from you. Friday’s and Sunday’s are my two favorite days of the week. Friday is kinda like the look back day and Sunday is the look forward day. Your new structure is a very welcome lesson in blogging.
    Thanks for all that you do.
    Sam and Deb Burgess
    Mabank, Texas
    Sam Burgess thinks you may like this post too..Chad Burgess-Graduation from Fort Leonard WoodMy Profile

November 4, 2011 at 4:07 pm #

Hey Patrick, what a great idea my man!

I happen to know a few persons who have picked at least one day for publishing something on a very specific subject and the outcome is that it just works!

I could speak a lot for what each day of the week represents for me (hey, thanks for the free post idea!)

But I’m just going to mention that Sunday used to be my less productive day of the week since I normally watch sports on that day.

When I’m not doing that it’s a family gathering day so I can’t focus with so much distractions like getting ice, more beers, being at the grill or whatever.

Really looking forward for your new blog features!

PS. How have you been at NY? I flew over there on my way from Paris to Mexico and everything was WHITE! o.O

November 4, 2011 at 4:39 pm #

Hey Sergio,
      I think I would actually enjoy Sundays at your house….cold beer and sports on TV…well I am not a huge sports fan but Man Utd quite often play on Sundays and I always like to watch them play.

The kind of structured blogging approach should hopefully be better for the reader, assuming they actually like the regular features that is, and should make the writing process a bit smoother for me also.

Time will tell how it goes but thanks for your support as always.

As for New York…well by the time I arrived all the snow had disappeared but if it returns I will be sure to take a picture and post it on Twitter.

Also it is the annual New York Marathon on Sunday…clearly I won’t be taking part but I have a feeling that if you had been here you might have been tempted.

Patrick Griffin thinks you may like this post too..Friday Newsletter: November 4, 2011.My Profile

November 4, 2011 at 4:56 pm #

Hey want to know something funny?

I’ve been talking to my father in law about running the NY marathon on 2012 and there’s a 99.9% chance we’re going so your thoughts were 100% right as usual!

On the other hand I have been fighting jet lag so bad these days, I couldn’t get up today and every day I have been waking up exactly at 3:00 in the morning.

I’m just wondering if you don’t get jet lag when you’re traveling from the UK to the US and viceversa?
    Sergio Felix thinks you may like this post too..Going To Real Madrid Vs. Villarreal At Santiago BernabeuMy Profile

November 4, 2011 at 7:43 pm #

OK well if you run the NY Marathon next year I will come across and cheer you on!

As to your other point I feel I may just be a little bid, well, odd.

Normally I recover quite quickly after these international flights and don’t suffer too much from jet lag.

It is just the rest of the year when I have not been flying that I have trouble sleeping ;)

Maybe the solution, and I love this solution, would be for me to fly much, much more.

6. Maria Pavel ROMANIA November 9, 2011 at 12:37 am #

I like how you’re planning to organize each day of the week for you! For sure, you’ll accomplish more and will be able to help more people following you. Great strategy especially if you want to discipline yourself without affecting your readers expectation from you.
    Maria Pavel thinks you may like this post too..CNA Job DescriptionMy Profile