I love social media – especially Twitter. Immediate small bites of information appeal to me.
I severely cut down the amount of time I spent on Facebook because I was annoyed by all the inane nonsense posted by so many people who use it.
Now I use it more after realizing how easy it is to ‘unsubscribe” from the updates of those who follow you. This way I only get updates from those people I really want to hear from.
You may think that sounds a bit harsh of me but life is far too short to read every single update from every person every day.
So it was interesting when an item on Facebook from Sean R Nicholson (also known as SocMedSean) caught my eye recently.
Sean said he was irritated by those who “just post quotes all day long, thinking they are being inspirational” and then asked others what annoyed them.
This made me smile because I also find those endless inspirational quotes to be rather uninspiring to say the least.
But back to Sean’s question on Facebook.
So he and I are annoyed by the same thing but what gets others annoyed?
Here are a selection of the replies that Sean received:
- People who simply retweet everything from others.
- When folks forget that being social includes being nice
- Spamming, no.1 on the list.
- Endless pictures of coffees, lunches, dinners, saturated sunsets and fluffy pets by people trying to get their Empire Avenue scores up.
- People telling me ”you must do this’ to be successful using social media as if there is only one way.
- People who tag me in photos or cartoons on my own timeline that have ZERO to do with me
Maybe your pet hate has been covered in this list or maybe you have something else which annoys you about your social media neighbors. Feel free to share.
Finally thanks to Sean for allowing me to use his original Facebook post as the basis for today’s post.